Some of us are reckless fashion adventurers, and others are more cautious about our sartorial choices. If you’re debating whether or not to sport a pocket square, here are five good reasons to start doing so immediately:
1. Join the ranks of some of recent history and fiction’s most dapper men. What do Jay Gatsby, Clark Gable, Don Draper, and Daniel Craig (as well as James Bond) have in common? They’re all sharp dressers – and all of them have worn pocket squares. Still dubious about the elegant touch of that square of folded handkerchief? Think about one of menswear’s darkest incarnations: the leisure suit. It has pockets, but certainly no pocket square!
2. The flourish. In bygone days, remarkable men had head-turning accessories, be it the helmet of a Viking warrior, the feather in the romantic troubadour’s cap, or the earring of a wealthy Renaissance-era noble. Unless you have a really unique job, it’s likely you can’t wear any of those things to spice up the daily grind. Luckily, the pocket square is a more subtle and modern way to add personality and elegance to what might otherwise be a suit like any other.
3. Escape the ordinary. In his famous short poem “In a Station of the Metro”, Ezra Pound observes, “The apparition of these faces in the crowd;/Petals on a wet, black bough.” If everyone were wearing pocket squares, the poem might just have a few more lines. Maybe imagery about flames or colorful birds would be involved. Pocket squares will get you noticed, either for their subtle elegance, or their flamboyant shades and folds. Turn the right head and your life might take a very different turn, as well.
4. Self-expression. We all have the clothes we “should” wear, and sometimes, no matter how unique we try to be, we still end up blending into the crowd. But why not make a bold statement that will set you apart? Of course, nothing that will get your boss to call security! A pocket square is an excellent way to be bold, while not rocking too many boats. Add a pocket square in any color or combination of colors you can imagine, to give your suit a dash of personality and uniqueness. Pocket squares may be fairly unusual today, but they’re backed with enough historical credentials to command both fascination, and respect.
5. Easy to procure, easy to get rid of. Some great fashion statements are also great expenses. Not so with pocket squares. Those gentlemen blessed in the wallet department may choose to invest in designer handkerchiefs in fabrics like silk, but even a less well-off fellow can seek out interesting fabrics and patterns in affordable menswear stores. Economic and imminently portable, the pocket square lets you decide, from how to fold it, to whether or not you want to keep it on display, if there’s a moment you feel you’d like a little less attention. A pocket square does not have to be a lifelong commitment: give one a try today and see if it’s for you. We bet you’ll enjoy it – as will everyone who sets eyes on you.
How about you? Do you wear a Pocket Square? If not, you know what to do now.